The Thank You Scheme
Take the time to show appreciation
During these difficult times it is more important than ever for managers and colleagues to show appreciation to each other to ensure everyone feels cared for, connected and motivated.
Colleagues are dealing with a variety of different priorities while working at home or on campus: parents and carers may be juggling their work with caring responsibilities or home schooling; worries about their own health or the health of loved ones; bereavement; isolation; missing regular activities that help let off steam; being restricted in visiting loved ones in care homes; financial or relationship worries and missing the simple pleasures of easily visiting family and friends.
Everybody loves to hear the words thank you and studies have suggested that gratitude and appreciation can improve well-being, physical health, can strengthen social relationships and help us cope with stressful times in our lives.
Have you let your staff or fellow colleagues know that they are valued for the work they do, their personal qualities or maybe community work they have done? Showing appreciation only takes a few minutes but the positive effects last a long time.
You can send an eCard and managers can also recognise colleagues with a gift through our Thank You Scheme.
Send an eCard
Our thank you eCards provide a quick and easy way for our staff to easily thank each other by sending on online card. Our eCards enable you to easily select a design and add a detailed personal message (you have a maximum of 5,000 characters). Once you’re happy with the message you can send the card direct to a recipient’s email inbox. You are able to send one eCard at a time. Sending an eCard also reflects the University’s commitment to environmental sustainability. Visit the Peer to Peer Thank You card system using access code S439777W
How managers can reward staff
The Thank You Scheme is for those special occasions where a manager feels the actions of an individual or a team are worthy of being singled out. It's for when staff have done something above and beyond - for example: pulled out all the stops to achieve a task, or consistently gone that extra mile. A gift is a token of appreciation and should take into account what the member of staff would enjoy. Gifts may range from a few pounds upwards, but should not exceed a maximum of £100 and should be allocated to i/e code 4034 Thank You Scheme costs. Please read or download the detailed FAQs for managers.
Other related documents
Anything you you like! If you need inspiration for sending an eCard here are a few ideas for you:
- Demonstrating our University’s values
- Excellent co-operation with colleagues
- Supporting you or other colleagues in difficult circumstances
- Putting in extra effort to share workload with a team
- Delivery of projects to tight timescales
- Treating colleagues, students and external contacts with respect
- Representing the University positively at all times
- Organising a charitable/ social/ wellbeing event for the team
- Completing a personal challenge for charity
- Helping mentor or coach other colleagues
- Helping to support you through your induction when you started
You can just keep it simple and to the point or be detailed. It’s important that the message appears sincere and is timely by sending at the time it is earned. You have 5,000 characters to use on the eCard so you could try:
- “I just want to let you know how much I appreciate….”
- “Thank you for all your extra efforts today on….”
- “Thank you for your co-operation today in dealing with …..”
- “Thank you for your excellent report today. It was very clear and ….”
- “Thank you for all the help you gave the students today during……”
- “Thank you for the fantastic service I received today at the ** Café….”
- “Thank you for inspiring others on the team with your co-operative approach.”
- “Thank you so much for all your efforts despite the recent difficulties you have been experiencing…”
- "Thank you for supporting me when I first started. I really appreciated....."